Experimental Stats (7 days)
|Inflows||$16.59M (excl. ETH)|
|Outflows||$3.50M (excl. ETH)|
Optimistic Ethereum is an EVM-compatible Optimistic Rollup chain. It aims to be fast, simple, and secure.
Funds can be stolen if…
Funds can be lost if…
MEV can be extracted if…
Ultimately Optimism will use fraud proofs to enforce state correctness. This feature is currently disabled and the system permits invalid state roots.
- Funds can be stolen if an invalid state root is submitted to the system (CRITICAL).
While proposing blocks is open to anyone the system employs a privileged sequencer that has priority for submitting transaction batches and ordering transactions.
- MEV can be extracted if the operator exploits their centralized position and frontruns user transactions.
The user initiates the withdrawal by submitting a transaction on L2. When the block containing that transaction is finalized the funds become available for withdrawal on L1. The process of block finalization usually takes several days to complete. Finally the user submits an L1 transaction to claim the funds. This transaction requires a merkle proof.
Optimism uses the Optimistic Virtual Machine (OVM) to execute transactions. This is similar to the EVM, but is independent from it and allows fraud proofs to be executed. Currently there is a whitelist that limits who can deploy smart contracts.
- Funds can be lost if there are mistakes in the highly complex OVM implementation.
The system consists of the following smart contracts:
- SynthetixBridgeToOptimism 0x045e…a8d6This contract stores the following tokens: SNX.
- SynthetixBridgeEscrow 0x5Fd7…eF9fThis contract stores the following tokens: SNX.
- SynthetixBridgeToOptimism 0xCd9D…5068This contract stores the following tokens: SNX.
- L1Escrow 0x4671…6C65This contract stores the following tokens: DAI.
- The source code of this contract is not verified on Etherscan. This contract stores the following tokens: ETH, LINK, MKR, UNI, USDC, USDT, WBTC.
The current deployment carries some associated risks:
- Funds can be stolen if a contract receives a malicious code upgrade. There is no delay on code upgrades (CRITICAL).
- Funds can be stolen if the source code of unverified contracts contains malicious code (CRITICAL).
- The incentive contract for verification proofs is disabled - Optimism FAQ
- Data Availability Batches - Paradigm Research
- Optimism operates the only "Sequencer" node - Optimism FAQ
- Chain Contracts - Optimism documentation
- Withdrawing back to L1 - Optimism documentation
- Execution Contracts - Optimism documentation
- Deployer Whitelist - Optimism documentation